Measuring Quality in Initial Teacher Education (MQuITE)
The MQuITE project seeks to involve all stakeholders in the development of a contextuallyappropriate means of measuring quality in initial teacher education in Scotland. It engages with both literature and practice to inform this process. The project runs for six years (tracking graduates over five years) and involves all ITE universities in Scotland, as well as GTCS. It is designed to be developmental in nature, securing, as it does, a sound base for the study of quality in ITE in its initial phases and then testing this in subsequent years. An ongoing feature of the project is the way in which markers of quality are returned to and modified in light of accrued data. In this way the project does not seek to maintain a static representation of quality but rather a dynamic interpretation that is modified in light of progression both of students as they become teachers and the various routes into teaching that now exist in Scotland. This work will contribute significantly to the development of quality teacher education in Scotland, and will also offer a useful perspective to the international debate on measuring quality in ITE.
THE PROJECT TEAM
- Dr Aileen Kennedy, University of Edinburgh
- Dr Paul Adams, University of Strathclyde
- Dr Anna Beck, University of Strathclyde
- Dr Nicola Carse, University of Edinburgh
- Ms Ellen Doherty, General Teaching Council for Scotland
- Dr Robert Doherty, University of Glasgow
- Dr Sandra Eady, Queen Margaret University
- Ms Jennifer Ellis, University of the West of Scotland
- Mr Andrew Gallacher, Edinburgh Napier University
- Dr John Gormley, The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland
- Ms Carrie McLennan, University of Dundee
- Dr Morag Redford, University of the Highlands and Islands
- Dr Rachel Shanks, University of Aberdeen
- Ms Charlaine Simpson, General Teaching Council for Scotland
- Mrs Jane Smithson, University of Stirling
- Dr Mark Carver
You can contact the project team on MQuITE@ed.ac.uk
Follow discussions on Twitter using #MQuITE
- Rauschenberger, E., Adams, P. & Kennedy, A. (2017). Measuring Quality in ITE: A literature review for Scotland’s MQuITE study. Edinburgh: Scottish Council of Deans of Education.
- Rauschenberger, E., Adams, P. & Kennedy, A. (2017). Measuring Quality in Initial Teacher Education (MQuITE) Literature Review: Executive Summary. Edinburgh: Scottish Council of Deans of Education.
- Kennedy, A., Adams, P. & Rauschenberger, E. (2017). Measuring quality in initial in teacher education (MQUITE). Presentation given at the European Conference on Educational Research, Copenhagen, August 2017.
- Kennedy, A. (2018). MQuITE project update presented to the SCDE stakeholder conference, Stirling, 20th September 2018.
- MQuITE Project Team (2018). MQuITE Framework Feb2018.